20 April 2012

Two Weeks

Is it really two weeks since my last blog. Deary me that is not good.

Well let's have a recap and I will expand on areas that I think have been interesting in a separate entry.

Well the first thing that I was working at the Eden Project near St Austell for 5 days after Easter. This was - once again - a great privilege. The briefs were interesting and challenging. I also had time to achieve some ideas I had in mind.

However I did suffer a couple of catastrophes:
  1. I broke the filter on the end of my 24-105mm lens (I say broke - more like shattered to smithereens). If you have read my top tips you will know that it is there to protect the lens and it did - so it did not die in vain! Just need to buy a replacement (£55) think it'll go onto the birthday list! The accident that caused that to break bent the pin/plug on the remote timer but I straightened it and it seems to be working! Fingers crossed. But might see if I can get my hands on spare cables.
  2. When I started the first time-lapse the battery in the transmitter had died. Get new batteries then - easy! Ha ha ha not so fast my friendly readers. To get to the battery you need the tiniest screwdriver in the world to remove three screws. So after a trip to a Cornish optician and a shop that sells CR2032 batteries I have now added CR2032s and a tiny screwdriver to my kit bag! The battery failure on that first day meant that I had to do the time-lapse 'old school' - ie pushing the shutter myself at irregular intervals - as a result I can see the camera movement and people are very random as they pass through the scene because I was not as good at consistency as the equipment is. The result at the end of the day was a  very achy arm!
One of the briefs was for some product shots - including some bird feed imaginatively called 'Peck and Mix' I decided to be adventurous, set myself up in the Mediterranean Biome (the lighting was lovely and I had seen quite a few birds in there) opened up the bag of feed and waited. A robin, blackbird and blue tit all obliged - but I loved this one of the blue tit sitting on the packaging.


This week I have - whilst suffering with a rather stinking cold - undertaken three photo shoots. An engineering company, a Health and Safety advisor and a Physiotherapist. more will follow about that work and images to share.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .