10 January 2012

Blomenfeld and Sherlock

A Portrait Challenge



This image by Erwin Blumenfeld has always appealed. Perhaps it is the lack of depth of field, perhaps because only the hands are in focus, perhaps it all adds to the mystery. Whatever it is - I love it.

I was stopped dead in my tracks the other night as I watched Sherlock when this image popped up on my screen:


Only the hand in focus, shallow depJth of field, misty screen. All a bit mysterious.

I know this sounds unrelated but I have a floor protector which goes underneath my office chair and protects the carpet. Slowly, over the last year, the protector has disintegrated. I think this is because it was made of a brittle plastic – however what I am left with is an intriguing screen that I can shoot someone through.


Now I need the right person and the right conditions and I will attempt to capture something similar - my January challenge.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .