17 December 2011

Changes

It's a year since I had my beloved horse put down. I should have done it sooner but I couldn't bear it but when the time came I knew and she told me.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and remember all the silly little things. Sitting on her back was the most comfortable place to be in the world. I loved seeing the frost on the cobwebs along the country lanes this time of year.

I have to confess that I haven't missed the mucking out, but I have missed the companionship I had with her. I still shed a tear each time I go into the loft and I see her saddle, grooming kit and rugs (which are currently being used to lag sensitive water pipes).

I miss her nudging me so hard in the shoulder that it hurts, the smell of her, the sound of her whinny when I arrived, the thud of her hoof as she stamped her feet in impatience, the feel of the leather, the thrill when jumping, the tingle in my fingers and the funny faces she would pull when I offered her an apple, the way she swished her tail when I groomed her, the obedience, the acceptance and shying at daffodils in March - and so many other things.

Me and Ellie

Miss her so much.
The best view in the world

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .