15 September 2011

Carl Warner

As I sit gluing small pieces of cardboard together, and some of the time my fingers to the table, I cant help but think...what the hell am I going to do with all of this. It's great therapy and I'm loving this sort of creativity, but really - where is this going. I have a village growing on my dining table. I am even going to a Model Railway Show at Gardendon School in Loughborough next weekend to see if there are any interesting bits and bobs that I might have missed that I can add to this. I think I will be looking for toy (whoops sorry, 00 gauge) vehicles, little model people doing specific things - like car mechanics, or even some rude ones - see the amazing work by Vincent Bousserez.

I was also thinking about the settings for these buildings. My previous work has involved sitting fake in the real world and playing with perspective - a little like Franck Allais. Or I used all my own (homemade) props and gave it depth by using my photography as a backdrop.

But this time what am I going to do with it? My thoughts were taking me to 'how do I sit the buildings and people into scenes, what can I do that adds a twist, unique to me?' I can take them out and play with perspective like Micheal Paul Smith does or I can build sets - there is certainly no shortage of material for that in the railway modelling world.

I decided on some research. I came across someone who's work I have seen before. There was a documentary on Sky Arts about his work a year or so ago, very entertaining, he's been on Richard and Judy and his work has been featured in most of the national newspapers. This has got him all sorts of work for advertising agencies. Anyway I thought I would share with you the inspiration that is ... ... Drum Roll ... ... ... Carl Warner (doh! I've already told you in the headline)

REMEMBER EVERYTHING YOU SEE IS EDIBLE:
Potatoes, Cress and Cabbage

Bread Mountains

Meat feast
And this is how he does it

Pause for applause for Carl.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .