14 May 2011

Fine Art Photography

Considering becoming a fine art photographer? Then you need to read the discussion generated by this Lenscratch blog entry.

My experience:
In the build up to the exhibition at Free Range in June I can see distinct parallels with this experience.

We are sharing the cost of the exhibition space through subscription, then each individual is contributing to a pot of money this will pay for the printing and framing of our pieces and the publicity material - invites, newspaper, website, magazine tie ins etc. On top of that there is the production of individual show specific printed materials - like business cards, postcards, tee-shirts. For the show itself there will be the travel and accommodation costs as well as the cost of food bought at London prices. The 5 day show will cost each individual substantially more than £500.

Will it generate sales? Will I receive commissions? Will my work be noticed? Only time will tell.

I am choosing who I invite to the show with care, and I will make sure I am there when they come to see the work. I have decided how I'm going to make use of my postcards at the show. I have decided not to hand them out but to post them out. I will go armed with first class stamps. To be noticed you have to be a little different.

~~~ ~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~