09 December 2010

Joe Cornish

What a treat we had on Wednesday (8th Dec) we had Joe Cornish with us for 8 hours. In the afternoon he gave feedback on the brief he gave - which I shall discuss elsewhere - and a lecture in the evening talking about his life, his work, his passion and his photographs.

Evening Lecture
Chris introduces Joe Cornish

I wasn't expecting to like Joe as I am tired of seeing images with pretty rocks on the shore in focus with a mountain/castle/sunset in the background in focus. The amateurish monthly magazines encourage you to take images like this and I am fed up of seeing them month after month. However I was delighted to find I rather enjoyed Joe's talk and his images. I realise what I am seeing in the magazines are very poor, and I really do mean poor, imitations of some fantastically stunning work.

To be able to see the work and hear the story behind the image was a real treat, so was being able to stand right in front of a mounted print - which were much better than the projected images... full of depth, colour and detail.

My notes from his talk:



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -